PIAC responded to the Trajectory for Low Energy Homes: Draft document for stakeholder input. In PIAC’s view, any performance metric used should include the energy efficiency benefits of health and comfort and the reduced costs of: running the home; system peak usage; and to the environment.
PIAC also submitted that:
- Energy efficient appliances and renewable energy systems should be added after the building thermal design minimum standards are met and not be used as a trade off against these
- The data relied on in the metric must be reviewed regularly to ensure that it is fit for purpose
- Minimum standards should be ratcheted up over time, to keep up with technological advances and community standards
- The Trajectory should include existing homes, not just new builds and renovations
- There should be special provisions to protect renters