PIAC is a strong advocate for justice for Indigenous Australians, with a focus on the Stolen Generations, stolen wages, policing and discrimination.
- To identify systemic wrongs by the State and its agents against Indigenous Australians
- To advocate for the elimination of those wrongs and redress for those affected
- To improve access to essential services for Indigenous communities
- To strengthen the capacity of Indigenous Australians to engage in public policymaking and advocacy
- Creating the Indigenous Justice Program
- Ensuring support for stolen wages claimants
- Providing support and advocacy to members of the Stolen Generations
- Advocating on behalf of Aboriginal consumers
PIAC’s Indigenous Justice Program (IJP) was developed to:
- strengthen PIAC’s links with Indigenous organisations
- identify public interest issues which impact Indigenous people and communities
- conduct public interest advocacy, litigation and policy work on behalf of Indigenous clients.
The IJP benefits from the generous support of the private law firm, Allens.